Monday, January 31, 2011

Forty

Forty weeks.

Nine (plus) months.

It's my due date.

Things I did today: woke up at 5am, obsessively checked the weather since we are about to have an epic blizzard, showered, did the dishes, 3 loads of laundry, scrubbed the kitchen, dusted, attempted to sew (but was thwarted by my machine and my lack of sewing knowledge, more to come on this later), took a brisk walk around the neighborhood, had lunch with Jessica, walked the dog, went to my 40 week midwife appointment, made a non-stress test appointment for tomorrow and updated my insurance info with the hospital, braved the craziness that is Target the day before an epic blizzard, walked the dog again, made myself dinner, and sat down on my exercise ball from Aldi birth ball to watch TV and blog.

Things I did not do today: go into labor.

I am currently 2cm dilated, almost completely effaced, and the baby's head is low and engaged. I have a "very favorable cervix" for a first time mom according to my midwife, which is now my second favorite pregnancy compliment - first is "you still don't look pregnant from behind". Obviously. (Pregnancy compliments are funny because really what control do you have over those things? Step away from the junk food and if your body still feels like making you look pregnant from behind, that's not going to be something you can change. But it still makes me feel all warm and skinny inside). Anyways, she felt confident I would not be back for a 41 week appointment and would have a baby at this time next week. To say that I feel pretty strongly about that myself would be an understatement.

So in the morning, I'll have the non-stress test and an amniotic fluid index to check to make sure baby girl is still living in a luxurious, well-oxygenated uterus (right above that favorable cervix. Literally...right above. So go on, baby. Head on out). As long as she is happy and snug medically speaking, we just keep waiting. Of course if she is anything like her father, she'll take her sweet, sweet time planning for departure while people around her start to go crazy with the slowness of it all. And when it comes to this baby, I am literally the person around her. Going crazy.

The one thing I am really happy about is that our daughter avoided being born on the same day as one of our 8 million friends and relatives who have mid to late January birthdays. I'm glad that she will have her own special February day to celebrate.

So to sum up: my day was incredibly busy yet did not include birthing a child. Tomorrow, tomorrow, you're only a day (2.5 hours actually) away. And yay for February. More updates to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment